There are so many ways to be involved in Vision.
If you are a student or staff:
If you are a Company or Research Institution:
We may be able to use your expertise to make Vision better! There are many things that we appreciate help with such as UI design, web services, database, data analysis and upcoming new features. It's a good opportunity to add something special to your personal portfolio too. Please don't hesitate to contact us.
If you are a School of Computing and Communications student who is interested in doing a student project with us, please contact Dr. Nicholas Race (firstname.lastname@example.org Senior Lecturer in SCC).
Research degrees (such as MSc by research and PhD in Computer Science)
Vision is not only a platform to watch TV and socialise with other students, it's also a very serious research project in its own right (well, at least we hope so ;-) ). There is a strong team of senior researchers and PhD students behind Vision. Our areas of interests include (but are not limited to):
For general information about research degrees at SCC, please visit http://www.scc.lancs.ac.uk/phd/. If you are interested in anything specifically related to Vision's research topics, please contact Dr. Nicholas Race (email@example.com Senior Lecturer in SCC).
- Social network analysis
- Social-aware content recommendation
- Content caching and distribution
- Multimedia systems
- Multi-destination and multi-track synchronization
- Software Defined Networks and OpenFlow
- Quality of Service and Quality of Experience
From time to time, we do offer short-term research and development contract to students, especially the ones who show their great potential in their volunteer work. Job vacancies will be published on the Vision website then they become available. You may also contact us for more details.
Periodically, we need to recruit Vision users to participate in specific research projects. In some instances, this might be a request to complete a questionnaire on some aspect of your use of Vision. In others, it may involve a chance to undertake participatory research which could ask you to contribute over a period of time (in these cases, we will usually offer some form of incentive!). Opportunities and requests for assistance will be published on the Vision website. You may also contact us for more details.
Stay tuned for the "Vision Prize"! We will periodically organize research or development competition. If you wondered about the title, there is a prize for the winner!
- Research and evaluation of new technologies to support professional and amateur content production, collaborative authoring, efficient media distribution in creative communities and the media industry.
- Piloting the integration of new media services, social media and emerging network distribution technologies in large-scale Living Lab environments.
- Engaging user communities and understanding new demands in the digital economy through waves of agile technology deployments and evaluations.
- Highly scalable and responsive statistics and analytics capabilities to improve the validation of new technologies.
- Exploiting multi-modal and multi-disciplinary approaches to study users' experience of emerging media applications across connected devices.
In either of these, or related, cases, please contact us for more details.